Institutes, Researchers, & Designers
- Games – Learning – Societyat University of Wisconsin
- Game Based Learning 2010, a conference in Britain in March 2010, with videos of major talks
- Terra Nova: A Blog about Virtual Worlds (including game-based worlds like MMOGs) hosted by Edward Castronova and other researchers at Indiana U.
- Institute of Play, hosted by Katie Salen and other researchers at Parsons New School of Design.
- Quest to Learn: an experimental middle school in NYC implementing a games-integrated curriculum
- Ranj Serious Games, a game design studio in the Netherlands (click on English in the lower left of the splash page)
- AvantGame, game designer Jane McGonigal’s blog and collection of cutting-edge game designs.
- Game Studies, the international journal of computer game research
- Journal of Virtual Worlds Research
- E-Learning and Digital Media
- Language Learning & Technology
- CALICO Journal
- Bubblebox has dozens of free to play, casual browser-based games (English only)
- InnoGames offers three browser-based games (and more to come), in 64 different languages
- MMOGame offers a variety of browser-based MMOGs in 21 languages (use the pull-down menu in the upper right)
- Games for Change offers a variety of free, browser-based games, designed with “a desire to inspire direct action and real-world impact through engaging gameplay”
Casual Games to Download (for a fee)
- Big Fish Games offers casual, downloadable games (PC and Mac), in English, Spanish, French, German, and Japanese–with a free one-hour or online trial
- Igralkin offers casual, downloadable games in English, Spanish, French, German, Polish, Italian, and Russian (PC only)
Commercial Review & Games Industry Sites